Thursday, March 17, 2011

Conservation of Mass Lab Investigation

Title: Conservation of Mass Lab Investigation

Problem: What products are being produced and can they be confined?

Hypothesis: When the pop rocks and baking soda is released into its corresponding solvent, then carbon dioxide will be transferred from the solute to the balloon.

Materials: 2 packs of Pop Rocks
1 full 20 fl oz of soda
2 balloons
1 narrow funnel
1 teaspoon
1 tsp of baking soda
50 mL of vinegar
1 graduated cylinder

Pop Rocks and Soda
1) Pour pop rocks into one of the two empty balloons.
2) Obtain a 20 oz bottle of soda.
3) With a little strength, attach the end of the balloon with the tip of the bottle at a slant, so as not to start the reaction at an inconvenient time.
4) Once this is completed, straighten the balloon so as to get a steady stream of pop rocks into the solute.
5) Watch and document how big the balloon grows, what happens to the pop rocks, and why this happened.
Note: Make sure to hold down the end of the balloon around the bottle opening in order to prevent it from flying off.

Vinegar and Baking Soda
1) Measure 50 mL of vinegar in the graduated cylinder by gently pouring the vinegar bottle into the lipped cylindrical plastic container.
2) Pour the 50 mL of vinegar into the empty soda bottle.
3) Next, connect the opening of the bottle onto the small end of the funnel, and pour one pack of pop rocks into the balloon.
4) Attach the balloon in the same manner as the pop rocks-filled balloon, tipping the bottle so that the baking soda does not accidentally fall into the vinegar.
5) Straighten up the balloon and allow the baking soda to flow into the solute.
6) Watch and document how big the balloon grows, what happens to the baking soda, and why this happened.
Note: Make sure to hold down the end of the balloon around the bottle opening in order to prevent it from flying off.

Results and Conclusions:
Pop Rocks and Soda
For this experiment, pop rocks were combined with the soda. In my case, the soda was Sprite. This could have been a crucial variable, considering that my group and I had the quickest and most fruitful results during the pop rocks trial. During this 5 minute time period (the amount of time it took the reaction to take place and completely settle), the reaction happened comparatively slow in contrast to the baking soda lab, which took about 30-45 seconds. After the reaction had commenced and the pop rocks were integrated into the liquid, they slightly raised the level of the Sprite. Also, there was a slight discoloration of the pop rocks and surface of the liquid; it had a brown hue to it while the gas was released and the carbon dioxide that was inside of the pop rocks were emitted and confined in the balloon. The green tint of the bottle could have skewed the actual results visible to the naked eye, however. At the 4 minute mark, there was a noticeable torrent of medium to small sized effervescence in one spot. As for the balloon, it only filled halfway and tilted to the side due to the limited amount carbon dioxide released. Since the balloons were too small to hold a whole pack of pop rocks, there was less gas to emit. Nonetheless, the balloon felt tightly compacted with gas. This proves that it was not a typical chemical reaction, rather, a physical reaction because the mass was not destroyed, only transferred. Consequentially, this first experiment proved the above hypothesis as correct. As for the problem, carbon dioxide was produced, and yes, it was indeed trapped inside of the balloon.

Vinegar and Baking Soda
Because there was some water remains in the empty Sprite bottle, there was an integration of vinegar and water, but not enough to make a terrible difference. However, this was still a variable worthy of notification. When the procedures were all followed through, and the chemical reaction was permitted to take its toll, the balloon filled up in as little as 30 seconds. This was a significant jump from 5 minutes to 30 seconds (approximately 1 minute to completely settle). Just before the amount of the carbon dioxide in the balloon stabilized, it deflated just the tiniest amount. This could have caused by the possibility that the section of attachment between the balloon and soda bottle was not completely secured, or loosened during the procedures process. As opposed to the previous test, this balloon filled up faster, produced more gas, and raised in a straight line due to the large quantity of pressure pushing up from the bottom. The reason why it produced more gas was because there was not as much of a limitation with the baking soda; each molecule collision between the baking soda and vinegar produced more carbon dioxide. One surprising fact about this particular experiment was that the liquid stayed pretty solid on the bottom, excluding the fairly large effervescence. Overall, this experiment also supported the above hypothesis.

No comments:

Post a Comment